Tuesday, April 14, 2009

2 Wonderful Examples...

Ray's parents and my in-laws celebrated their 59th Wedding Anniversary today!! They are Robert and Jean Baker who married on April 14, 1950. They quickly had their 1st daughter Linda, then came Bob Jr. and then Wendy, Sherri, Debbie, Brenda, Ray and then Mary. 6 daughters and 2 sons! A very big family in any culture. They had all their children but Mary in upstate New York and Ray often says they got to Texas as soon as they could (he was 2). They raised a family with very much love and good hard worker. The 60's and 70's were a hard time to parent because of all the rebellion and such that was going on but they did their best. From the children they have - I know I am going to get this wrong - 27 grandchildren and 26 great-grandchildren. The great-grandchildren is still counting. 1 great is on the way and my gang hasn't even started so the numbers will be double that in probably 5 years. What a heritage of children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren!

I wanted to share some of the amazing things that makes them so special and honor Dad and Mom Baker. They have been such an example to Ray and I for their commitment to each other for all these years. They have stuck by each other through thick and thin, through healthy and challenging times, through lack and plenty - and everything in between. Sometimes in marriages we see that people lose sight of what, why and who brought them together and those people can give up when things get tough. They never gave up on each other and their family.

I personally have so much to be grateful for because of the example Dad was and is to Ray and the model of a marriage that they have shown us. The way Dad worked for his family and still works is such a testimony to Ray and all the boys in the family. His cherishing love to his wife has been unwavering for all these years. He taught Ray how to be a man that works hard for your family and doesn't quit anything. He instilled in Ray to work hard so that if his wife wanted to stay home she could. That was the desire of both of our hearts so that is what we have done in our family. Dad gave Ray SO MUCH wisdom in SO MANY things that made him a true MAN! I love when we counsel young couples, some of Dad's advice is STILL brought up that he gave to Ray. Very wise things like, Son, never ever get into your wife's business in the kitchen - he actually told Ray that a day to late. We have a brownie story for another time and Mom&Dad shared their frying pan story! HA!! I will have to share more of them in the future. He taught him to hunt - not just to hunt but to hunt for food for the freezer. We needed that food in the early years. SO MANY life lessons were taught by this AMAZING MAN. Since Ray was the 7th he got many privileges that the older 1's didn't (he knows he was SPOILED) but 1 of those was his Dad's time. He wasn't working 3 jobs to put dinner on the table so he had A LOT of time to spend with Ray. If it was sports, teaching him to fix things, build things, hunt&fish, play horseshoes, golf, watch sports of TV - so many things Ray had the opportunity to do along side his Dad.

Ray was not only crazy about his Dad but he was and is crazy about his Momma. His Mom taught him how to cook, how to clean, how to sew, how to IRON - she didn't make him do any of those things but she would let him come beside her and he watched and learned. She was the queen of what my kids say is made up saying and Ray&I are passing them on to our kids. They think they are silly and don't make a bit of sense but they will use them....in time. Some are "a bird in the hand.." so many that I am sure Ray and her daughters can quote. It's late and I can't think - why do I blog SO LATE!!!

The best way I seem to learn is by example and she was always a living example of how a Mother serves her husband and her children. Did I say the woman can cook! OH YES!! Talk about the ultimate "daughter-in-law not ever matching up to the Mother-in-laws cooking"! Even if I never have cooked as well as his Mom - he was raised by her to NEVER let me know it. I think I could hog tie Ray and have someone beat him and he wouldn't say that his Mom cooks better then me. Smart MAN!! The special things I learned from my Mother-in-law was how to truly serve my family. She is such a great example of taking care of her children, some of her grandchildren and her husband with such a servants heart! She did things for her family when I am sure she didn't feel like it but she did it with all the love in her heart. 1 major thing that I learned from my Mother-in-law was her gift of hospitality. Her home was ALWAYS, ALWAYS welcoming to anyone and everyone. Their home was the hangout house just like ours is. The woman could whip up snacks and a meal for an army in under an hr. Their home was really my 1st example of being in a home that welcomed, loved on, listened, laughed, played and genuinely loved the people that God brought to them. Ray and I have had MANY people come through our home and there has been many times that I have had flashbacks of our days in the Baker home and random people everywhere. People, community - whatever you want to call it, it's just being there for each other. If you needed a meal, a bag of groceries - whatever it was they were the people that gave and gave and gave. I love that we are passing that on to our children and their homes will be just like that too.

It was always so wonderful to know that we had their support for me to stay home and they always supported us when we were blessed with another child. I would hear friends or sisters that would tell me of their in-laws and how disapproving they were that they didn't work too or that they had more then 2 or 3 kids. My in-laws encouraged us and ALWAYS saw children as a blessing from God.

If you were around them for a short time or often you always knew and saw their undying love for each other. They have shown us that affection to each other doesn't ever have to stop, no matter how long you have been together. I always loved seeing them steal a moment with each other - if it was a glance or a touch or a kiss, it was always so tender and sweet - such a GREAT example for me from how I was brought up.


I have regrets, many regrets that I didn't take advantage of all of my Mother-in-laws wisdom in so many things. If I had it to do over again I would be quite the different daughter-in-law to her. I have made it my prayer and my mission to have my daughters be AMAZING daughter-in-laws and they WILL learn from my mistakes! I will bring the unfortunate, to be something that my daughters will gain wisdom from! Why must we learn so many things the hard way when they are so valuable and important!?

Ray and I love you both very much!! We honor you for the love of family and love of each other that you have shown to us and everyone in this BIG family!! The VERY MOST IMPORTANT thing that I have been able to see in their lives is the 2 of them come to know Jesus as THEIR personal Lord and Savior!! We are SO GRATEFUL to God for their example now of seeking God's face and serving Him. We had many years that we prayed for them and along with a lot of others prayers. But because of God's AMAZING GRACE and mercy, they now serve the Lord with all their hearts, soul and minds. I am not sure how many years it has been but it has been over 15 years since they feel in love with Jesus. They now spend time in His word and do it together. It is so precious to us and theirs has been a testimony of HOPE to so many that you don't give up on, "you and your household WILL BE saved"!!

As the Patriarch and Matriarch of this Baker Family, your son's Family would like to speak a blessing over you... 'May the LORD bless you and protect you. May the LORD make His face shine on you, And be gracious to you. May the LORD show you his favor and give you his peace.' Number 6:24-26
We love you both so much ~ Ray, Teddi, Rachel, Sarah, Hannah, Olivia and Grant

Here is a picture of the dashing and beautiful young couple!

No comments: